Friday, March 7, 2014

Warmth: A mythical phenomenon

I forget what it's like to be warm.

I began my morning by being awakened by the electricity kicking the bucket...seven minutes before my alarm went off. Looking outside, it was eerily dark. I decided to not wait until the house started getting cold and quickly grabbed a flashlight, a candle, and took a shower by candlelight.

So romantic.

























When I took Pippi for a walk, i was amazed by the thick layer of ice on the trees and the limbs and trees that had been taken down by it.

This is what the trees look like in hell.

























When I was on a walk with Pippi, a tree fell in the woods and scared the crap out of me. And, of course, she took forever to find a spot to poop. My little, furry smartass.

When I go to work, I was able to assess my ability to apply makeup in the dark. Not too awful; just some uneven eye liner, and I'm sure my coworkers are used to that from me by now.

Today would be a great day to be able to text with the dog. Checking the power company's website, it appears the power is still out at the house. At least I had the foresight to provide her with an extra blanket in her crate this morning. I also just got an e-mail notice that another tree has fallen in the neighborhood and now our fire alarm system is down too. At least it's raining...?

I live in the overlapping outages area. Crap.













It's barely above freezing right now and the high for tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 60s. Here's hoping!


On a totally unrelated note: Today my mom and stepdad closed on the house I grew up in! They moved to southern Virginia in January and have had the house on the market since. And now someone else owns it! It's weird, but cool. It's a great house, but the location was getting too crowded for their liking. I hope the new owners enjoy it as much as we did.

Hasta la vista, baby!


















1 comment:

  1. Oh man I hope the power comes back on soon! I hate being cold but we have a gas fireplace so that helps even when the power is out;) I guess it will be cuddle time with Pippi tonight!

    ReplyDelete