Monday, March 2, 2015

All the nope

On today's edition of What the Hell is Happening in My Head, we bring you the results of Emily's Videonystagmography. (Don't worry, the saga doesn't end here).

The smile is fake. The style is very real.




















To say that this is one of the more strange things to happen to me at a doctor's office is quite an understatement, although I view any doctor's appointment where I don't have to remove my clothes to be a win.

Because going to the neurologist isn't creepy enough




















To make a long story short, this test involved wearing these super snazzy infrared goggles and undergoing the following:
  • Keeping my head still and following Mister Potato Head on a TV screen with only my eyes while he moved all over the screen. That sneaky little sneakster.
  • Lying down, sitting up, keeping my head at certain angles
  • Having cold and then warm air shot into each ear for a minute at a time 
  • Feeling like I was floating all over the place
  • Lots of questions
  • Talking about dogs (this was just a bonus of having an audiologist whose dog has his own Instagram account)
The result? I have a 30% impairment of the right peripheral vestibular pathway (a weak Vestibulocochlear nerve in the right ear). So, clear as mud.

















I've been doing a lot of research and I don't really understand it any more than when I first heard the diagnosis. The next step is I get to go see an Otologist.

Every time I have an appointment, I think "oh good, I'll finally get answers today! And then...all the nope. Someday.

Someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment