Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Battle of the (stubborn) brains

I'm pretty certain Netflix is the best $8/month decision I've made. Maybe ever. This weekend I surprised myself by deciding to watch Gossip Girl. I was pretty sure I'd hate it and turn it off after five minutes. But, alas, I'm hooked. Who knew I'd end up hooked on a show about the type of people I can't stand?!






















Now I just need a treadmill so I can have an excuse to watch more often. Instead, I've decided to watch while doing "weight-training" in my living room. Yeah, I know. I'm hardcore.

Yesterday someone brought up the fact that if the government ever decided to monitor what people watch on Netflix, they're in trouble. I'm pretty sure I'll be in jail. Among the list of things I've watched are documentaries about Jeffrey Dahmer, Timothy McVeigh, Jonestown, and multiple school shootings. It's safe to say that my entertainment choices are all over the map. The same goes for my music choices. I like to keep 'em guessing.


Yesterday I ordered a dog training aid that I never thought I would.












No, it's not some kinky torture device. It's a prong collar. I have a few friends who've said using the prong collar is how they taught their dog to not walk them on walks. Getting Pippi to walk on a loose leash is one of the big things on my list of things to teach her.

When we went to training class last week, Trainer Ryan went over a technique that is just not working for me, so I enlisted the help of a few friends who have had success with other techniques, and after doing some research, I've decided to try the prong collar. There are many schools of thought on the subject, including people who are very much against this training method and trainers who really believe in it.

Yeah, that'll be the day.



















The only reason I'm willing to try this is because Pippi knows her name, she knows to sit when I stop walking and to look at me when I call her name. She knows these things, but is so easily distracted it's ridiculous. Also? She's strong! It'll be so nice to have a dog who can just chill and enjoy a walk. I can't wait for that day! I also found a video just now on a different technique (which doesn't use the prong collar) that I'll try first. I can always return the prong collar if I don't use it, right? Why can't dogs just not be stubborn?


Would the government be interested in your TV choices?

Do you find "mean girls"-esque shows intriguing?

Have you had success training a dog to walk on a loose leash? What worked for you?


7 comments:

  1. just curious, have you tried a "Gentle Leader"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who are against prong collars probably have little dogs haha. It simulates the feeling on their neck when a more dominant pack member corrects them, so it's not like it's a torture device. Just make sure you have it fitted correctly. You'll have to take some links out and make sure it's fitted to be high up on her neck, just below her ears, with the leash attached to the right side (and she'll walk on your left).

    I liked Gossip Girl for a few seasons (I watched on the treadmill) but it got pretty ridic after a while haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dogs always pull when I try to walk them. So, I have them both using prong collars. It works pretty well, but when they are together they pull more. I would walk them so much more if they didn't pull:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pronged collars aren't mean, it's how they're used that can be mean. If you use it for quick corrections and have it fitted properly, it's a great tool. Plus, it'll help you establish yourself as the Alpha, which is really the entire point of training. My brother has a pit and I just told him to start using a pronged collar to train her and it's working great. Just make sure you aren't relying on the prongs to train her, only use it for corrections.

    I think if the government checked my Netflix, they'd think we had children. That's what happens when your husband loves super hero cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the prong collar. I've never tried one but have tried pretty much everything else out there. Luckily, all mine are pretty under control these days on walks. I seemed to be able to find what worked for each of them before getting to that one, though each dog I've had needed a different method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another option is a sensible harness. The obedience class I took my dog to wouldn't allow choke or prong collars of any kind and when she has the harness on she doesn't pull. The harness hooks in the front on their chest. If the try to pull they are forced to turn. I was surprised but it works perfectly for Sandy (my dog). Just another option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to watch gossip girl but couldn't get into it. I don't think the government would be too interested in my never ending repeats of How I Met Your Mother and The Office. I want people to do whatever will keep their dogs from biting me or running in front of my bike.

    ReplyDelete